JOMC 061: Sex, Drugs, & Rock'n'Roll
Search for Scholarly Articles
- Communication & Mass Media Complete (CMMC)
Articles in communication and mass media. Coverage varies, but some back to early 1900s.
- add case stud* to find articles that are case studies
Scholarly articles in psychology very broadly defined, including effects of media on people. 1872-present.
- select Age Groups = Adolescence (13-17 yrs) or Young Adulthood (18-29 yrs) on the main search page
- select Methodology = Literature Review or Methodology = Empirical Study on the main search page
- search for survey* OR questionnaire* to find articles describing surveys.
- Academic Search Complete
Scholarly journal articles and popular magazines covering all topics. A great database for beginning searches. 1980s-present.
- Sign In to My EBSCOhost at the top of the page, so that the EBSCO logo has a little yellow hat on it.
- Save citations in the three databases above, click on Add to Folder to save useful articles for class.
- Next time you log in, click on Folder at the top right of your screen to see the articles you've saved.
Scholarly journal articles about health, medicine, and nursing. 1966-present.
- use wild card in searches, such as alcohol*
- resort results by relevance
- narrow by subject terms on the left of the results page
- limit result by date (on the right side of the page)
- Media and Health Studies, Reports & Research
Resources on media and health from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
- Center on Media and Child Health
Research and news about the effects of media on the health of children and adolescents from Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, and Harvard School of Public Health.
- Books on 2-hour reserve at the Park Library
- The Changing Portrayal of Adolescents in the Media Since 1950 / edited by Patrick Jamieson, Daniel Romer. Call number: P94.5.Y27 C43 2008
- The Handbook of Children, Media, and Development / edited by Sandra L. Calvert and Barbara J. Wilson. Call number: HQ784.M3 H26 2008