Summer Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
See complete calendar
JOMC 491.3: News21 & Powering a Nation Research Links
Scholarly & Popular Articles
- Academic Search Complete
The Google of academia: scholarly & popular articles on any topic.
- InfoTrac OneFile
Academic Search Complete's biggest competitor. Includes scholarly & popular articles on any topic -- some source overlap, but not much. Search both to be comprehensive.
- Business Source Complete
Business articles (scholarly & popular), company research, industry & market research reports, and more
- Google Scholar demystified
Stephanie's thoughts on Google Scholar, plus links to use it in conjunction with Find@UNC.
- America's Newspapers
Over 900 US newspapers and some TV news transcripts
- Newspaper Source Plus
Over 1,500 US and foreign newspapers, including 50 from North Carolina. News transcripts from TV and radio. 1990s-present.
- LexisNexis News
National and international newspapers, news transcripts from TV and radio, and company financial reports. 1980s-current. ... more news resources ...
- UNC's Evaluating Websites tutorial
Review of important elements, plus a short checklist (pdf) for these items: Credibility, Bias, Audience, Accuracy, Currency, Relevance
- Evaluating Information Found on the Internet
Detailed description of the mechanics of determining authorship, publishing body, and currency on the Internet. From Johns Hopkins.
- Check websites for inclusion on the Internet Public Library & read their descriptions for help assessing sites. Click on the magnifying glass to see subjects assigned to websites; use subjects to find similar sites.
Two JOMC faculty books to investigate:
- Thornburg, Ryan. Producing Online News: Digital Skills, Stronger Stories. Washington: CQ Press, 2011. Chapter 6. On 2 hour reserve @ the Park Library, call number REP .T564 2011 .
- Friedman, Barbara G. Web Search Savvy : Strategies and Shortcuts for Online Research. Chapter 7. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2005. In print @ the Park Library, call number RES .F911 2004, and online.
Energy Reference Resources
- U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Offers information by energy source or by topic. Also links to state & historical energy data.
- Energy Glossary
Short, intelligible definitions of hundreds of energy & energy-related terms. From the California Energy Commission.
- More Energy Resources
Nicely annotated links in all areas of energy, including links to find state energy information and energy glossaries. From the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William & Mary.
Fancy Google Search Examples
- site:gov "nuclear energy" "south dakota"
- site:edu energy library
- site:sfsu.edu "solar power"
- detroit "alternative energy" filetype:pdf
- site:edu filetype:xls energy
- Poke around the Advanced Search options
U.S. Government search
Search / browse U.S. government links to key information, a government agency index, and topical list of available resources. ... energy search …
- COS Expertise
Contact information for nearly 400,000 scientists and scholars in international research universities, government agencies, and other R&D organizations.
- Encyclopedia of Associations: National Organizations (2010)
Detailed information concerning nonprofit U.S. membership organizations. Older editions available in Davis Library at call number HS17.E52. See also Encyclopedia of Associations: Regional, State and Local.
- Statistical Abstract
Summary of social, political, and economic statistics about residents of the United States. See also the print version in the Park Library (call number HA 202).
- American FactFinder
Population, housing, economic, and geographic data from the U.S. Census. Includes decennial data (c2000) as well as American Community Survey estimates data (c2009).
- National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS)
Search for 990 forms for non-profit organizations (including the National Cattlemen's Beef Association).