Voice and Pronunciation Resources
- Voice of America Pronunciation Guide Covers names of political figures and locations around the world. Includes audio, and is searchable by country.
- Merck Manuals Online Medical Library: Pronunciations Audio recordings of properly pronounced medical terms.
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary A comprehensive, free, talking dictionary.
- Speech Internet Dictionary Provides definitions of technical terms used in phonetics, phonology, and the study of speech.
Regional Pronunciation & Dialect
- Talk Like a Tar Heel Audio recordings of properly pronounced North Carolina place names, with a clickable map. Maintained by UNC's North Carolina Collection.
- English Dialect Samples Sound samples spoken by English speakers from around the world, illustrating various accents.
Available in the Park Library
- The Sound & Style of American English 6 audio CDs teaching the standard American accent to speakers of all other first languages. by David Alan Stern. Park Library call number: AUD CD-spe .S841 2007.
- The Speaker's Voice 3 audio CDs in aesthetic voice improvement. by David Alan Stern. Park Library call number: AUD CD-spe .S841 2007.
And More ...
- Rhetorical Figures in Sound Illustrates 40 different figures of speech with definitions and examples (written and audio) for each rhetorical device.
- Do You Speak American? PBS television program on "Americans as seen - and heard - through the way we speak."
- Vocal Health from the National Center for Voice & Speech
thanks to SILS Student Adam Rogers for the links & annotations.